I am a medical doctor specializing in radiology. My passion is improving people’s lives by impacting their health care and tackling poverty. I do this by developing and implementing technology to help doctors obtain the care they need for their patients , thinking through the business of health care and connecting people that should be working together.
I enjoy reading books, travel , and hacking on open source software.I am an entrepreneur , running a social enterprise to tackle health care in Sub Saharan Africa.
JUDY WAWIRA GICHOYA, MD, Msc
Medical Student, MD, 2003 to 2009
Moi University, Kenya
PGY3/R2 Resident, Diagnostic Radiology, 2013 to 2018
Indiana University, Indiana
Post-Doctoral Informatics Fellowship, 2011 to 2012
Regenstrief Institute, Indiana
Masters of Science in Health Informatics, 2011 to 2012
Indiana University Purdue University (IUPUI), Indiana
Medical Internship, 2010 to 2011
Ministry of Health, Kenya
HOSPITAL POSITIONS HELD
Kiambu District Hospital, 2010 to 2011
Current PGY3/R2 resident in Diagnostic Radiologist, June 2013 to present
Indiana University Hospital, Methodist Hospital, Eskanazi Hospital
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Travel Award by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) to attend the 2016 SIR Annual Meeting
- Indiana Radiological Society (ACR Chapter) award to attend the 2015 Radiology Leadership Institute (RLI) meeting.
- Travel Award by Association of University Radiology (AUR), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS) and Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) to attend the Introduction To Academic Radiology (ITAR) workshop at the 2016 ARRS meeting.
- Goldberg Reeder Global Health Travel Award by the ACR (American College of Radiology) to implement an informatics project in Malawi in June 2016 partnering with RADAID Malawi.
- Best Hackathon project at the 2015 annual meeting of the Society of Imaging Informatics in Medicine (SIIM) integrating FHIR images into an open source electronic medical records system.
- Young Alumni Award 2015 from Indiana University Purdue University School of Informatics.
- Google Anita Borg Award 2012 for women that have excelled in computing.
- ABR board exam in June 2017.
- Indiana State License, active
- License to practice medicine in Kenya, Kenya Medical Practitioners Dentists Board, inactive
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
- Society of Imaging Informatics in Medicine (SIIM)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
SPECIAL LOCAL RESPONSIBILITIES
2014 – present: Resident and Fellow representative to the Indiana Radiological Society ACR Chapter.
2014- present: Resident and Fellow representative to the Indiana State Medical Association
2014 – present: Manage the Interventional Radiology Y90 database, an oncology outcomes database for all patients receiving Y90 treatment
2014 – present: Academic resident track at Indiana University
Principal investigator in the following research grants applications:
- GRAND CHALLENGES CANADA: Improving Tuberculosis Surveillance using the ledger Shredder (CAD $ 100,000 Awarded December 2012)
- GRAND CHALLENGES CANADA: Fingerprint Biometric System for Community Health Linkage in Western Kenya (CAD $ 100,000 Awarded November 2013)
- Gichoya J1, Pearce C, Wickramasinghe N. Information architecture considerations in designing a comprehensive tuberculosis enterprise system in Western Kenya.(Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 2013)
- Gichoya J.W, Grannis S: An Evaluation of the Rates of Repeat Notifiable Disease Reporting and Patient Crossover Using a Health Information Exchange-based Automated Electronic Laboratory Reporting System (AMIA 2012)
PRESENTATIONS AND EXHIBITS AT NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES:
- Gichoya J.W, Kohli M : The Evolution Of Global Health Radiology Informatics; Are We Equipped To Communicate To Colleagues? A Review Of The Completeness Of The Radiology Informatics Alphabet Soup (RSNA 2014)
- Gichoya J.W, Grannis S: An Overview Of Successful Large-Scale Automated Case Detection: Assisting Public Health With The Identification Of Reportable Conditions (IUSTI 2012)